Memorial Day Flower Drop
Coachella Valley Ford Dealers (which includes Palm Springs Motors and Fiesta Ford in Indio) is a first time Presenting Sponsor for the 14th Annual Memorial Day Flower Drop on Monday, May 28, 2012 at the Palm Springs Air Museum, located at 745 N. Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA. This year’s Flower Drop will again feature the Missing Man Formation by T-34s and the Heat Wave Jazz Band. Forest Lawn Memorial Park returns as the Sponsor of the 3,000 carnations that will drop from a vintage World War II era aircraft. Palm Springs Air Museum’s original Chief Pilot Jim Dale (JD) will pilot the vintage aircraft dropping the flowers.
Below is a list of current festivities:
· 10:00 am until 12 noon - KNEWS Radio live remote
· 10 am and throughout the day - BiPlane Stearman Rides for sale ($150 per 15 minute ride, after paying museum admission)
· 10 am and throughout the day - Food Vendors El Buen Sazon (Mexican Food), The Cone Zone, Freedom Fighters Café
· 10 am and throughout the day - 82nd Airborne Living History Re-enactors, Gen. Patton impersonator, Harpo the Clown, balloons courtesy of the Knights of Columbus; water courtesy of Forest Lawn Memorial Park
· 11:30 AM - P-63 flight exhibition, piloted by Jim Dale
· 12 noon - Coachella Boys’ and Girls’ Club’s Heat Wave Jazz Band
· 1:00 pm - T-34 Missing Man Formation Flight Exhibition followed by the Flower Drop of 3,000 red and white carnations
The flower drop honors and memorializes all veterans who lost their life defending the US. The white carnations are in honor of those who fought in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. The red carnations are in honor of those who died in more recent conflicts including the Persian Gulf, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan. Events are included with regular admission to the museum which ranges from $8 to $15. Active Military and children under 6 are free. No discounts on Holidays. (760) 778-6262.
The Palm Springs Air Museum is an educational non-profit organization whose mission is to Preserve, Educate and Honor. Over 28 flyable planes and interactive exhibits are housed in 65,000 square feet of climate-controlled hangars.
PALM SPRINGS AIR MUSEUM, 745 N. Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262, (760) 778-6262 / www.psam.org
Palm Springs & Coachella Valley