3rd Annual Chili Cook-Off
to benefit Palms Springs Woman's Club
Event tags: Fundraiser, Food, Palm Springs, Chili, Cook Off, Bella Da Ball, Contests
PALM SPRINGS, CA – January 14, 2013: On January 26th Palm Springs Woman’s Club will host their 3rd Annual Chili Cook-Off which is open to the public. Brian Wasniak, also known as Bella Da Ball will serve as this years MC. Judges include Ernesto Gastelum, Executive Chef/Owner, Rio Azul Mexican Bar & Grill, Johannes Bacher, Executive Chef/Owner Johannes Restaurant, Mark Van Laanen, Chef/Co-Owner Trio Restaurant, Patty Delgado, Owner Las Casuelas Terraza, Michael Passmore, Chef Jensen’s Catering, Sam Pace, Owner Sammy G’s and Bruce Fusaro, Executive Chef Kaiser Grille. Proceeds from the Chili Cook-Off will be used for improvements to the clubhouse. Prizes will be awarded in 3 categories with $250 for first place, $150 for second place and $75 for third place. Tickets are $20 per person – the doors open at 1 PM with chili tastings and a no-host bar. Carol Kaminins will entertain the audience while scoring is being tallied.
The club continues to support the community every year by providing scholarships to students at their annual scholarship luncheon. This year’s scholarship event will be held on March 8th at The Hilton Palm Springs. The club also supports the Palm Springs High School Jazz Band, the Madrigal Singers and has provided assistance for special programs at the Palm Springs Library. Palm Springs Woman’s Club was formed in 1938 and incorporated in 1939 with 65 charter members, many of whom were pioneers of the area. Mrs. Nellie N. Coffman acted as temporary chairman at the first meeting and upon the election of Mrs. Warren B. Pinney as the first President. Mrs. Coffman became honorary President, a position she held until her death. In the early years of the organization the club felt the need for a permanent and sizable clubhouse. Mrs. Pearl McManus donated a valuable site on the corner of Cahuilla and Baristo Road. In honor of her generous gift the clubs first meeting of the year is called “Pear McManus Day” and all members are encouraged to wear pearls in remembrance as we celebrate her life story. John Porter Clark a noted architect at the time designed the clubhouse and with funds from donations, they opened the new clubhouse on January 29, 1940 with a dedication and open house gathering. Over the years the club has received donations endowments and grants from the McCallum Desert Foundation, local businesses and many of the club members.
Members as well as private and professional organizations are encouraged to rent the lovely clubhouse. Palm Springs Woman’s Club is located at 314 S. Cahuilla Road in downtown Palm Springs. For more information for the Cook-Off email Jan Darlington at email@example.com or call (760) 218-1716. For Media inquiries contact Kathleen Bennett at (760) 774-7178 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Palm Springs & Coachella Valley